- Who We Are|- Issues --Links|- News - Scrapbook - Contact - Home -
The Belleayre Mountain Ski Center is in the process of producing a new unit management plan (UMP). UMPs are plans that identify opportunities for recreational use and consider the ability of the resources and ecosystems to accommodate public use. In the Catskill Park, UMPs are developed in compliance with Catskill Park State Land Master Plan guidelines.
Belleayre Unit Management Plan
UMPs must also meet the provisions of the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA). Upon the filing of an Environmental Assessment Form (EAF), a determination is made on whether or not the actions proposed in a UMP will result in any significant environmental impact.
Belleayre Superintendent Tony Lanza presented information on proposed components of the plan at a public meeting on Saturday, March 1st. Mr. Lanza stated the UMP could include a proposal to run trails down the mountain to Pine Hill and install a lift at the end of Bonnieview Avenue to carry skiers back up.
As pointed out by the Adirondack Mountain Club, "public participation is a vital part of DEC's management and planning. Informal public meetings and formal hearings are held to hear public comments throughout the decision-making process to ensure that the citizens of the state have the opportunity to play a part in planning for management of...public lands."
Information about the process
- Belleayre wants views from Shandaken hamlet - Daily Freeman article on the March 1st public meeting about the UMP.
- What is a Unit Management Plan? - The DEC's explanation of UMPs and outline of the steps in the UMP process.
- How to Comment on Unit Management Plans - How and when to contact the DEC about a UMP, what deadlines mean, etc.
- Getting Involved with Unit Management Plans - The DEC's current listing of UMPs that are in the process of being written, what public involvement opportunities may be scheduled, how and to whom to provide input on any particular forest unit, and the completed UMPs from around the state that can be downloaded.
- Background on the Catskill Forest Preserve - Provided by the Knickerbocker Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club, this summary also includes details on the Catskill Park State Land Master Plan and UMPs.
- Catskill Forest Preserve Public Access Plan - Issued in August, 1999 by the DEC in cooperation with the state Department of Transportation, this plan was developed to help guide future management of the Catskill Forest Preserve with a focus on improving public access and appreciation of the park. Many of the recommendations in the plan, such as enhancing year-round recreation at the Belleayre Mountain Ski Center, are subject to the UMP process and will be implemented when UMPs are written or revised. The version provided by the Adirondack Mountain Club is a December, 1998 draft.